Parathas are made usually on Friday evenings here at my home, our concept is to treat our senses during weekends. Evening snacks are a strict no no during weekdays and dinners are usually around 6:30 pm, we are early birds, so far :)
Source : Tarla Dalal
Cuisine: North Indian, Punjabi
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 4-6 people
2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 C Paneer/ Indian cottage cheese, grated
2 big onions, finely chopped
1 small bunch of cilantro/hara dhaniya , coarsely chopped
1 inch fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves
2-3 Indian green chillies, finely chopped
1/2 T red chilli powder
2 T garam masala powder/Indian spice mix
Salt as per taste
2 T cooking oil
- Make dough by mixing the wheat flour, salt, water and oil. Cover it and keep aside for 30 mins.
- Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chillies together. Heat oil in a pan, sauté onions till translucent and changes the color, add little bit of salt to sweat the onions. Add the paste and fry for a minute. Add shredded paneer, mix well and take off the heat. To this add garam masala powder, red chilli powder and salt, mix well. Let it cool.
- Make equal size balls of dough, roll into 2" disk and fill 2 T of Paneer-Pyaaz filling and roll into 3-4" disk just like you do for any ordinary parathas.
- While roasting add some oil/ghee/butter on both the sides of the paratha.
- Serve hot with fresh yogurt mixed with cilantro and ajwain seeds, Indian pickle, with a dash of butter.