This quick fix rice meal can be made for any main course like chicken curry or any veggie entrees, or can be served plain with some raita. Bagara rice is famous in Andhra predominantly from telangana region. Made with fewer ingredients but no compromise on the flavor or on your palette.
Source: My Signature recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20-30 mins
Serves: 6 servings
3 C of basmati rice, wash and keep it aside.
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaves, fresh or dried
1 t shahi jeera
1 T Ginger garlic paste
2 T mint leaves/pudina, chopped
1 t garam masala powder
salt to taste
4.5 C water
I used pressure cooker for cooking this rice, you can also use electric rice cooker or big 5 quart size sauce pan.
- Firstly wash the basmati rice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and add all the spices and fry for a minute.
- Add the onions and fry till translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and garam masala too. once the oil leaves from the sides, add chopped mint/pudina leaves and fry for few minutes.
- Then add rice and mix well, check for salt, add the water, cover it and let it cook.
- If you are cooking in pressure cooker or electric cooker the ratio is 1:1.5 for rice to water.
- If you are cooking on stove top in a sauce pan cook the first 10 mins with covered lid and once the liquid is all absorbed turn the heat off and cover. The rest of rice will cook in its own steam. Serve hot with any side dish or plain yogurt.
I made this Bagara rice to go with Chicken fry and raita (yogurt sauce).
I just whipped some sour cream and added some cherry tomatoes, chopped cucumber and cilantro. Added a spoonfull of chia seeds and salt and its ready to serve.