With the temperatures still around 70's in the North east, I felt there is still time for Homestyle desserts. Though I love to eat this cool treats any time of the year this easy to make dessert can be handy and fancy to treat our unexpected guests in a whip.
Layers of sliced oranges, grated coconut and confectioners sugar are combined to make this dessert that Southerners call "ambrosia". One might see this recipe as gliding the lily, but layering oranges, pineapple, grapes and coconut with frozen yogurt does create a truly irresistible treat.
Source : adapted from Healthy Home Cooking
Cuisine: American, International
Prep time: 7 mins
Serves: 4-5 people
2 T sweetened shredded coconut
2 medium navel oranges
1/2 C halved seedless red grapes
1/2 C drained crushed juice-pack pineapple and 1 T juice reserved
1 pint non fat vanilla frozen yogurt, slightly softened
I used ginger infused 1 C home-made yogurt with 1/2 C granulated sugar
Mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Toast the coconut flakes/shreds over medium heat, tossing frequently, for 2 to 3 mins or until lightly browned. Transfer the coconut to a small plate to cool.
- Using a sharp paring knife, remove the peel and white pith from the oranges. Cut the oranges crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices, then chop coarsely. Transfer the chopped oranges to a bowl, add the grapes and the pineapple with its reserved juice and mix.
- You can use the store bought vanilla flavored yogurt or you can make one of your own by adding 1/2 C of sugar to 1 C of home made yogurt. Here I used 1 tsp ginger powder to infuse the flavor and leave in the freezer for 3 hrs. Just before serving thaw for 5-7 mins before you serve the dessert to soften the yogurt.
- Divide one-third of the fruit mixture among 4 parfait glasses or dessert dishes. Using half of the yogurt, spoon a layer of yogurt over the fruit. Alternate layers of the remaining fruit mixture and yogurt in the glasses. Sprinkle the parfaits with the toasted coconut and garnish with mint sprigs if desired.
- Serve immediately and Enjoy!