Did I tell you that Potatoes are my favourite roots of all. I love to have them with almost anything. As it is known to all that potatoes are rich in starch and carbohydrates and many are watching their carb consumption. I must say they are even keeping me away from blogging, no I was just kidding! But I agree that they make me dozzZzy Zzzz Zzzz ZZz!!!
Frying potatoes with methi leaves for me is a Maharashtrian cuisine. I do know that Methi Aloo might be some north-indian cuisine too. I always like this with hot steamed rice and dal or chapatis. Methi leaves used here in this recipe are picked straight from my window garden. I will update my garden photos shortly.
Use a lot of fenugreek (methi) in your culinary preparations. Why? For the simple reason that it is so healthy. This wonder herb, a very popular vegetable in the Indian cuisine is a nature’s boon to mankind. Besides, it is so appetizing, light and dry. Rich in protein, calcium, phosphorus and iron in their natural forms, its mineral and vitamin contents are also very high and this is easily assimilated by our body. This is extracted from beauty and personal grooming. For more on information on Methi leaves, its medicinal benefits and home remedies do check the informational blog here beauty....
Recipe Source: Friend
Cuisine: Maharashtrian Cuisine ~ Indian
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
6-7 red skin potatoes, diced and cubed into small pieces
1 small bunch of fenugreek leaves/methi leaves/menthaaku
1 tsp red chilli powder/cayenne powder/karam
a pinch of turmeric/haldi/pasupu
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp cumin/jeera/jeelakara
1 tsp mustard/rai/avaalu
1 tsp black gram/urad/minapappu
5-6 curry leaves
- Clean and roughly chop the methi leaves/fenugreek leaves.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or kadai. Add all the seasoning ingredients. Fry for a minute and then add the diced and cubed red potatoes with its skin on.
- Fry for 15-17 minutes or till the potatoes are cooked. Sprinkle some salt, turmeric and cayenne pepper/karam and stir so that all the spices are mixed well.
- Lastly add fenugreek leaves/methi leaves, let it cook for 3-4 mins and stir so that leaves are mixed well.
- Serve it with hot steamed rice or rotis/Indian flatbread.
More tasty Aloo(potato) recipes from my blog:
Punjabi Gobi Aloo muttar