This is an always made pachadi at home when we bring berakaya /ridge gourd from the market. Its very sad to see throwing away the ridge gourd skin when its very tender and soft. So my mother makes this variety pachadi full of fiber from its skin. This is really a very easy pachadi and goes well with hot rice, dal and a dash of ghee.
Source: My Mother
Cuisine: South Indian, Andhra
Prep time: 7 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Makes: 4-5 people
peeled skin of 3 berakaya(s)/turai/ridge gourd
½ cup of berakaya/turai/ridge gourd pieces
½ onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove of garlic, cut into big pieces
3-4 dried red chillies
1-inch of tamarind
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp Urad dal/black gram
2 tbsps oil
Salt as per taste
- First clean the gourds, trim the ends and then peel the skin of berakaya/ridge gourd. Cut ½ cup of berakaya/ridge gourd pieces, you can use the other pieces for curry/stir fry.
- Take oil in a kadai/sauce pan, to this add the gourd's peeled skin and pieces. and slowly cook for about 10 mins. Saute in between so that its not burnt.
- Then add cumin seeds, chopped onions, garlic, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, urad dal/black gram dal and salt and saute it till the skin and pieces are fully cooked.
- When you turn off the gas, add tamarind and red chillies and cover it.
- Once cooled coarsely grind to paste.
- Serve with hot rice, dal and ghee.
You all must be wondering what did I do with the remaining pieces of berakaya/turai/ridge gourd. I sauted the pieces in oil along with onions, chillies and ¼ cup of soaked chana dal/bengal gram for about a hour or so. Saute altogether and add salt and chilli powder as per your taste. And here is our lunch today, Rice, Pappu charu (dal), berakaya thokku pachadi, sauted berakaya/turai/ridge gourd and salted Lassi.