our weekend breakfast, Akki roti with coconut-dalia chutney
Akki Roti- Karnataka's favourite breakfast
Akki Roti is a Karnataka recipe which I tasted at my friend's place and loved it. This is a famous breakfast and very popular in homes across Karnataka. There are many ways of preparing it, but my friend taught me the easy way of making these rice rotis. One can make it by simply adding jeera (cumin seeds) and salt or make it richer by adding veggies. Here is my recipe and few tricks on how to make it easy.
Cuisine: South Indian, Karnataka
Prep time: 20 mins & Cooking time: 20 mins
Makes: 8-10 Rotis
2 1/2 cups of rice flour (makes 8-10 rotis)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 cucumber, grated (deseed if seeds are large)
2 green chillis, finely chopped
Handful of green coriander/cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
½ cup home made yogurt/dahi
2 tbsps oil
Salt as per taste
1 cup of water, accordingly
- Combine rice flour and chopped and grated veggies, add jeera(cumin seeds), salt, yogurt and mix well.
- Add water to it slowly and keep on mixing till you get a thick consistency like uttappam batter (not like dosa batter)
- Take a light weight non-stick pan, pour some oil, I use canola oil spray, pick handful of the batter and spread it with your hand on the pan and then lit the stove. Remember the pan should be cold and greased when you pour the batter into it.
- You may brush some oil on the top side and then turn around. It will take around 2-4 mins to cook on each side of the roti.
- For the next roti, run the bottom side of the pan in cold tap water, so that the temperature is reduced and repeat the same procedure.
- Serve hot with any Indian pickle or chutney of your choice like Coconut-Dalia chutney.
Akki roti, the easy way of making...